2 Thessalonians Jewish Bible New Testament and comment David H. Stern
1. From: Sha’ul, Sila and Timothy
To: The Messianic Community of the Thessalonians, united with God our Father and the Lord Yeshua the Messiah:
See 1 Th 1:1N.
2. Grace to you and shalom from God the Father and the Lord Yeshua the Messiah.
3. We have to keep thanking God for you always, brothers, as is appropriate; because your trust continues to grow greater, and the love you each have for one another continues to increase.
Trust in God and love... for one another. Yeshua called these the two greatest mitzvot (commandments; Mk 12:28-31).
4. Therefore, we boast about you in the congregations of God because of your perseverance and trust in all the persecutions and troubles you are going through.
In the rest of this chapter Sha'ul gives comfort and encouragement for the persecutions and troubles already spoken of at 1 Th 2:14.
5. This is clear evidence that God’s judgment is just; and as a result, you will be counted worthy of the Kingdom of God for which you are suffering.
6. For it is justice for God to pay back trouble to those who are troubling you,
7. and to give rest along with us to you who are being troubled, when the Lord Yeshua is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels
8. in a fiery flame. Then he will punish those who don’t know God (Isaiah 66:15; Jeremiah 10:25; Psalm 79:6) that is, those who don’t listen to the Good News of our Lord Yeshua and obey it.
9. They will suffer the just penalty of eternal destruction, far away from the face of the Lord and the glory of his might (Isaiah 2:10, 19, 21).
Not vindictive. See 1 Th 2:15-16N.
10. On that Day, when he comes to be glorified by his holy people and admired by all who have trusted, you will be among them, because you trusted our witness to you.
v. 7-10; 2:1 These verses review the leaching of 1 Th 4:13-18&NN that believers will meet Yeshua "in the air" when he returns. They also lead up to 2:3b-12.
11. With this in view, we always pray for you that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill by his power every good purpose of yours and every action stemming from your trust.
12. In this way, the name of our Lord Yeshua will be glorified in you, and you in him, in accordance with the grace of our God and the Lord Yeshua the Messiah.
- chapter 1
- chapter 2
- chapter 3